[DML] Re: catalytic converters

One problem with your argument from actual experience:

When Virginia started tailpipe testing, no distinction was made for
cars not originally equipped with catalytic converters. Every car had
to pass the same emissions requirements irrespective of year of
manufacture (the idea was to retrofit them). My best buddy had a 1970
Buick in proper tune, sans converters of course. Passed the test no
problem. Virginia's emissions requirements have since been re-written
  so pre-converter cars are not tested. Same with seat belts BTW.

If you're so concerned about emissions devices, why are you not
promoting EGR and air injection retrofits on DeLoreans. They were
standard issue on F Series Volvos and surely would reduce our
emissions even more.

The mere presence of catalytic converters does not account for:
- Improper tuning
- Excessive engine wear
- Harmful driving habits
Perhaps those should be legislated as well?

Europeans have managed to avoid our EPA regulations by discouraging
excessive automobile use and providing practical transportation
alternatives. Their urban planning is totally opposite of ours -- in
Europe you generally travel TOWARDS the center of a town, in America
you generally travel AWAY FROM the center of town. Europeans have
seamlessly integrated airplanes and other forms of transit (don't be
surprised if the last leg of a Lufthansa ticketed journey is made on
the ICE). Americans, in contrast, will drive more than 100 miles to
catch a plane (no other choice...). Europeans walk more than
Americans, and not in circles around a track -- it's an accepted way
to transport themselves. In America it is perfectly normal and common
to drive to the Post Office to mail a single letter, or to the grocery
store to buy a single item -- insanity to Europeans.

I know it's not politically vogue to look admiringly across the
Atlantic these days, but the Europeans could teach us Americans a
thing or two -- without catalytic converters on our cars!

Bill Robertson