[DML] Re: AC went "POOF!"

Now that you mentioned that you are using John's fans and are moving
less air AND you also mention you don't have the shroud it all fits
togther into a bigger picture. By having less air move through the
radiator AND the condenser coil you will run the engine at higher
temps and also the A/C. In the A/C system higher temps translate
directly into higher pressures. Higher pressures are harder on the
whole system especially the old hoses. If the pressures get too high
there is a relief valve but it is over by the accumulater by the front
right wheel. Obviously the hose (or whatever blew) couldn't take it
and popped before the relief valve could. I strongly recomend you get
the shroud back in, especially in you're area where the temperatures
are so hot. You cannot drive a Delorean without A/C at those temps and
to do so without the shroud is going to make the whole car work much
harder. If you can't straighten the brackets and get everything to fit
you will have to get others. Used brackets would do fine, they don't
have to be new. Try Josh H, he might have what you need. As for the
A/C hose, if you do need another, the venders have them and you should
also be able to find a local shop that can make up a new one for you.
I think that the discharge hose is around $175. It CAN be changed
without removing the body. You do have to bend the flange on the frame
though to get the old one out and the new one in. You must be very
gentle with the aluminum condensor core. It is very easy to damage the
fitting on it when removing the hose. BTW it is very important that
the shop that services the A/C makes sure there is the proper amount
of refrigerent oil in the system. When you have a large leak as you
did the gas carries out a lot of the oil and it MUST be replaced or
you will soon kill the compressor. Heat accelerates the aging process
so anything you can do to keep the car running cooler will help it
last longer (up to a point).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757