[DML] Re: New here

It is all done from the top. Remove the spare tire and the curved
cover in the tire well. You will see a large round boot with a clamp
on it. The fuel pump is in there. Carefully remove it and set it aside
after disconecting the lower suction hose and the return hose to the
baffle. I recomend removing the baffle and all the parts inside. You
will need a 10mm wrench to remove the nut if it isn't too rotten. The
baffle has to be disassembled in the tank to remove it. You can stick
your arm in the tank (if you aren't too big) and wipe the tank out
easily. Inspect all of the parts and replace anything in questionable
condition. Work in a well ventilated area and use rubber gloves.
Acetone easily melts all the crud if it has hardened. Wipe out ALL
dirt. I also remove the sender unit for more room and to clean under
it as well. It is next to the fuel pump and is removed by loosening
the large ring. There is no choke. The fuel injection system adds fuel
in other ways. Clean out the tank and if you still have starting
problems we can troubleshoot it then. Most fuel system problems start
with contaminated or stale fuel so by cleaning out the tank and
putting fresh fuel in it might improve your starting problems. In the
meantime remove and slow charge the battery, have it load tested and
if it is good recharge it again slowly while you work on the tank. If
you are ordering any parts for the fuel tank get a Workshop Manual and
2 oil filters. One for now and another for next time. Also check ALL
of the fluid levels and the air pressure in the tires.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757