Re: [DML] Re: Exceptional steering rack rebuild???

Re: [DML] Re: Exceptional steering rack rebuild???

One thing that I've gone through more than once is tire run out. If you jack
the car up just enough to get the tire tread an inch or so off the ground
and then spin the tire you can see if the tire is round or if the tread
appears to move up and down a bit. Many times it's the way the tire was
mounted to the rim and sometimes it's just the tire but in any event there
are ways to correct that. A really good tire shop has the ability to true
the tire on the rim and even balance it on the car. I just went through that
and it made a world of difference. After the wheel and tire were run on a
machine that slightly shaved the high spots to make it round, the wheel and
tire were dynamically balanced. Once on the car a device that resembles a
small hydraulic jack is inserted under the lower control arm. It has a
spring loaded plunger attached to an electric switch which is connected to a
strobe light. The wheel is spun to about 90 MPH and allowed to spin down. As
it slows down the strobe light flashes with any vibration. The trick is to
adjust the balance weights until the strobe flashes are reduced to a
minimum.

Bruce Benson