Re: [DML] Fuel Pump or Not Fuel Pump?

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mike Substelny <msubstel@xxxx> wrote:
> In the past I have seen symptoms exactly like yours in several
> DeLoreans, and it has always turned out to
> be either an empty gas tank or a fuel inlet sucking air in a
> partially
> empty gas tank.  In either case, you should be able to add a gallon
> of gas to the tank and get it started.

Mike,

My fault for neglecting to say in the original post that I had tried
adding gas to the tank. My gauge drops rapidly from 1/2 to near-empty
so I didn't trust it, even though it said 3/4 and my trip odometer
confirmed that as probable.

I've also since pulled the pump boot and can see a fair quantity of gas
in the tank.

I have listened many times for the pump with the RPM relay by-pass in
place and the key "on." With everyone's suggestions, I've acquired a
voltmeter and, under those conditions, see voltage at the pump
connector, so I guess it will be the pump after all.  I've ordered one.

Oh, the little inertia switch stays in the up position when placed
there.  It also has a daub of white paint on it... someone else said
that may indicate a newer switch (post-recall)?

Thanks for your response.  I will certainly take all of your inlet
suggestions into account and watch for those types of problems while
installing the new pump.

Marv