[DML] Re: Scathing Strut Rebuttals.

This is not a promotion for any vender's struts, just an observation
after having adjusted many doors. It seems a majority of the cars had
the torsion bars cranked up to compensate for old, weak struts. I also
suppose there is a variation of the power in the struts sold by the
various venders. They do not all get them from the same source. There
could also be a variation between batches and how long they sat on a
shelf. The struts sold bt P J Grady have a damping valve so the door
is slowed as the strut gets near full extension. They are not
temperature compensated. Another vender sells temperature compensated
struts and I plan to try them the next time I need them. At one time
DMCH sold struts that were too long, when the door was closed for some
cars, and they damaged the mounts. I  don't think they are selling
that one anymore. Torsion bars don't "lose" their adjustment. Either
they were not correctly set origionally or something changed (guide
blocks, lock actuators etc). Usually the struts got weak so the "easy"
fix was go crank the torsion bar up a spline or 2. Maybe the torsion
bar was adjusted in the wintertime and in the summer, when hot, the
doors bounce open.  In any case the doors should NEVER bounce. I like
to set the torsion bar so with a new strut the door will open all the
way with no bounce. In fact a little on the weaker side is better. As
long as when you push the door to full open it stays there and doesn't
fall back. Nothing looks worse on a Delorean than droopy doors. Figure
on buying new door struts every 5 years, like a battery. Check out the
"hang test" over at dmcnews.com in the technical section. Once
properly adjusted you should never have to touch the torsion bars. If
the doors don't stay up replace the struts. I guess it might be best
if you stick with the same vender's struts so the torsion bars that
were set to that particular vender's struts will work the same.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757