[DML] Re: Fuel Pump or Not Fuel Pump?

You are certainly proceeding in the right direction. Pull the outer
boot off the fuel pump. You will see the pump right there with the
wires attached. With the relay bypassed and the ignition on the pump
should be running. If it is not put a voltmeter on the connections and
see if you have 12 volts at the pump. If not you will have to find out
why. It could be a bad ground or maybe a bad connection. There is a
plug by the washer bottle that the power for the pump runs through.
You might have to go there and check for power and ground. It is
common (if the outer boot is shot) for water to collect on top of the
pump and corrode the wires right off the pump. In any case you are
right, it does sound fuel related and if the pump isn't running the
motor will not either. You could also temporarly hot-wire the pump to
get it to run to make sure the pump is OK and the problem is
electrical to the pump.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757