[DML] Re: BROKEN bolts!!!

If you don't know what to do your really are in trouble. The general
procedure is usually to drill them out. If you could turn them out
they would not have broken off. You carefully and EXACTLY drill down
the center of the bolt with varying and increasing drills till you get
to the correct size so you can retap the hole. In many cases you will
have to go oversize and use a thead insert. The whole process is
tricky because it is difficult to stay centered on the bolt. The drill
wants to get off-center and go into the softer aluminum. If you are
not comfortable with this kind of work you are best advised to get a
friend or hire someone that can do this. The problems of going
off-center or breaking a tap or a drill are much worse than the broken
bolt.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757