[DML] Re: Removing windscreen trim

Hi Andrew,
    Your post is perfectly timed, as I JUST completed that project on
my car.  I removed the trim and had the 3 pieces powdercoated.
I took plenty of pictures, so if you need any just let me know.
Yes, you basically remove the rubber outer-weatherstrip going along
the front part of the roof and down the A-pillar.  This reveals 6
screws, 3 on the A-pillar, 3 at the roof.  Scrape some of the glue
away if they are in the way of the screw heads.  Removed those
screws, and the trim should come right off.  (the top piece
is "hooked" in, so lift it carefully at the back -- where it meets
the roof -- and jiggle it loose.  Be careful not to bend it).
I found that the weatherstrip adhesive used to hold on the rubber was
SOOOOOO difficult to remove that I think it's worth buying those 2
new weatherstrip pieces.  They are $25 each from DMCH, but if you are
in Australia, maybe it's worth it for you to remove the old glue.
It's just rather difficult.
For me, I found that for all the trouble, it was worth powdercoating
the pieces instead of painting them.  The powdercoating should last
forever, and (fingers-crossed) I should never have to remove the trim
again.  Many of the threads in the A-pillar are rather rusty, so be
careful when tightening the screws back in.  (I stripped one of them -
luckily it wasn't critical).
My local powdercoater sprays 50% gloss black 3 times per week, so it
was very cost-effective to use that color, as he can just "slip it in
the line."  I was concerned it would be too glossy, but it's not.  It
looks wonderful!
Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be glad to give you
more info.

-Derek L
VIN 5302