Re: [DML] Re: Cam Wear cause

I'm sure that running the car w/o the valve cover installed will cause
a huge vaccuum leak but the car should run.

Running w/o the cover will also cause a huge oily mess unless something
is rigged to catch the oil.  I built what amounted to a valve cover
minus the top so I could see if one or more of the rocker arm orifices
was not dropping oil.

I found that all the rocker arms were in new condition except the one
that was not dripping oil (which had excessive wear due to lack of
lubrication) and did not see the need to buy all new rocker arms.
Thus,the time taken to observe the cam oiling was worthwhile.

Although I decided to remove the rocker arms, I found upon removal that
I probably could have removed the minor obstruction with a small wire
but would have had a rocker arm with excessive error (probably from the
month I drove the car with the rocker noise)

I considered replacing the cam; however, it looked OK and did not have
any damage to the hardened surfaces except for some minor discoloration
on the lobe that did not get lubrication.

BTW, I had a new cam from a Volvo engine that I considered installing
but decided against it because the lobes did mike quite as high a lift
as my original cam.

While this may be obvious, be sure you have the cam in the right
positions when adjusting.

Rob Grady's help was very useful thru this process.

Woody

p.s. on another subject: I've had Rob's door cylinders on my car since
1999 and they still work fine.

Yahoo! Mail