Re: [DML] Fuel smell

The advice you got was pretty much on the money.  I always counsel
changing the gas cap first, especially since the smell is worse when the
tank is filled.  Rod mentions fuel around and on top of the pump.  This
is often caused by fuel seeping into the boot around the return pipe.
It may also come from a cap nut that is not quite tight enough, a
notched copper washer, or a loose clamp around the outside of the boot.

Deloreans have been plagued with fuel smells since they came out.  A
popular remedy in the early days was to block the hole in the fresh air
manifold that's located in the fiberglass body just above and to the
rear of the where the fuel pump is mounted in the tank.  I doubt that
this very effective by itself, but there was one dramatic unintended
consequence.  That hole is the drain for that manifold.  All the water
that runs down the windshield and through the screen goes into that
space and is supposed to spill out onto the fuel tank and run to the
ground.  That's why the cover seal needs to be in place, btw.  In a big
rain, the manifolds with the improved ventalation filled up with water
until full, at which point water began to run out of the fresh air vent
in the fan motor area and onto the passengers feet and right side
carpet.  This can happen naturally if a Delorean is parked under a pecan
or any tree that drops stuff regulaly.  The leaves drop into the
manifold and collect at the drain, blocking it.  Then would come the
rain and the wet feet.  Next time you're in the area of the fuel tank,
take a look at that drain hole.  Pull all the debris out of it.  If
there is tape or some improvement, take it off.  Your carpet will smell
better.

Warren at DMC