Re: [DML] Re: Who has the best door struts?

Re: [DML] Re: Who has the best door struts?

I don't think it's so much a matter of who you buy your struts from, so much
as it is that you do it consistently.  Among the members of the midstate
group, I think we had at least 4 different struts installed on our
cars --including Grady's which I thought operated very nicely.  When
comparing the operation of them at our last get-together, I noticed a lot of
differences between the manufacturers.  Some were stronger than others at
the beginning of the travel, some got much stronger at the end of the
travel, some had dampeners at the top, and others were very consistent
throughout.  There were also big differences among the cars themselves:
inner door seals, outer door seals, roof hinge resistance, and dragging roof
seals.  All these factors will affect the operation of your doors.

Because there are mild differences among the vendors, when you find a strut
you like, adjust the torsion bars to match it and keep buying the same
struts.  If you don't mind potentially adjusting the torsion bars every few
years, then experiment with some others.  Right now, 1063 is sporting some
struts from Steger that are 3 years old and still chuggin'.  I drive my car
daily so they get a lot of cycles.  I like the struts just fine, but I kind
of wish they had a dampening valve at the top of travel.  I've got the bar
adjusted so they open fully with no bounce from approximately 60-80 degrees
F, below about 60 they need a little help from me, and out in the beating
sun they bounce just slightly above 80 degrees or so.  For this reason,
Toby's temperature compensating struts are particularly intriguing to me.

Before sending your struts back, make sure nothing is obstructing the door
opening movement.  Spray some silicone lube an all the seals, the roof
hinges, and strut mounts.  If you need a torsion bar adjustment, get in
touch with your local group (or you can come to my house near St. Louis!).
I'll be looking forward to the door strut evaluation, and I imagine I'll be
asking a lot of owners if I can play with their doors at DCS 06.

Jake Kamphoefner
1063