Re: [DML] Clutch repair

Read me like a book...

A proper transmission jack is almost a necessity. I also recommend
jacking up the car level rather than rear end high. With everything at
an angle, and the transmission teetering on a floor jack, I never
could get the bellhousing flush with the block by muscle power alone.
Came close enough to insert some bolts to pull them together, but no
matter how hard I tried to turn them in equal micro increments, the
splines on the input shaft bound inside the clutch disc. Twice. Crazy
thing is: you absolutely can not feel that while it's happening. Feels
like the transmission is re-mating smooth as silk. But it isn't.

Some other things to be aware of:
- Of course there's no crossmember to rest the transmission on while
you work on the clutch (hence the necessity of a proper jack or
dropping it to the ground)
- Two roll pins (changed to solid studs on later Volvo's) actually
hold the transmission in alignment, not the mounting bolts. Make sure
they are in place and in good condition
- I could not move the shift cable far enough to slip it endwise
through the triangular bracket with the transmission reinstalled
(Workshop Manual suggests doing this with the transmission hanging at
an angle -- impossible while wrestling with a floor jack). I tried
slipping it through the bracket loose, then reinstalling the bracket,
but ran headlong into the 8mm Bolt From Hell. See Message #48803 for a
mod that allows you to leave the bracket in place and slip the cable
through sideways after the transmission is reinstalled.
- Unlike American units, the bellhousing doubles as the front of the
transmission. Be careful pulling it off unless you want a gallon of
gear oil all over the place. Removing it does make oil change
extremely simple.
- Removing and reinstalling the transmission is a lot easier when the
exhaust crossover pipe isn't in the way. If at all possible, remove it
(and replace carbon fasteners with stainless for easier future
removal). While it's out, notice how easily everything in the Valley
Of Death is accessed from under the car -- *THAT'S* why you want to be
able to remove it in the future.
- Don't forget to change not only the rear main oil seal, but the
paper gasket that seals its holding plate to the block as well.
- Flywheel mounting bolts are NOT equally spaced. Mark its position to
avoid having to spin it and test fit them later.
- There is not enough room to put a socket wrench on the crankshaft
pully with the muffler in place -- one of the reasons I converted to
dual exhaust.

See also Message #51606 for cautions Re: the clutch fork. Has to
remain fairly still until the throw out bearing contacts the clutch disc.

All in all, I do prefer American transmissions simply because they are
easier to take out and put back in. Larger components are also less
susceptible to damage (I think the clutch disc splines can bind
without feeling because the disc is so small and thin that it flexes
as they do so). Best way I've found to replace a DeLo transmission is
to let a humongous railroad employee pick it up and physically place
it on the back of the engine while it's sitting on blocks out of the
car (gives you an idea of the problems I encountered re-mating them --
couldn't even do it out of the vehicle).

Bill Robertson