[DML] Re: Door Struts

I've been a DeLorean owner since January 1982 and I have never seen
the availability of quality parts and service that I see now. Car
enthusiasm seems as high as I seen too.

So, I want all the vendors to be successful. I think they are all
filling a need and are working out their niches. If you want quality
replacement or rebuilt parts Grady is top drawer and so is (was)
Zilla. Toby Peterson is by far the top innovator in my opinion and
Hervey, he finds new stuff or has it made, I guess, that I thought
would be out of existence by now - plus, his alternators are top of
the line. And of course there is DMCH. Where would we be if Stephen
Wynne had not been brave enough to get the mother load? I don't want
to forget Don Steger who has his own innovations. Ed Bernstein at
DeLorean One, who helped thousands of owners out in the old days,
has carved out his own market these days I guess. Then there is
Bauerle Automotive and others. What a great list.

But, you asked who has the best struts. You should try them ALL - at
least once. No door is the same. You need to find the ones that work
best on your car. I'm working on it and so far Hervey's are working
the best and lasting the longest. He claims they are original specs ?
 I don't know. It always seemed to me that the originals had an
internal brake ? the ones I have now from Hervey seem a bit weak in
that department but they sure did work consistently cold to hot. I'm
intrigued by Toby's design with the different valving ? but I have
to wait for all my others to go bad first. O yea, Grady's seemed a
bit weak for my car and as a result one season was it. DMCH had a
quality issue with the batch I got from them ? they readily replaced
them at no charge - but I got Hervey's in the interim so I can't
speak to the new ones of DMCH yet.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sgskbm" <SGSKBM@xxxx> wrote:
> I have read the posts about which vendor has the best door struts
and
> this has been of great interest to me.  I bought a complete set of
PJ
> Grady's struts about three years ago and I have maybe 150 miles on
> the car since I installed them.  I probably have a total of 75
> openings on the driver side and maybe 20 on the passenger side.
>
> They are both now bad in that they no longer go up more than 1/2
> way.  I live in San Diego and the car is kept in a garage so
> temperature should not be a factor.
>
> I am not complaining about the quality or the fact that I now need
> replace them but I too am wondering about which vendor to use.  It
> seems like some vendors give a longer warranty, some are
temperature