[DML] Re: Workshop Manual vs. Service Bulletin - R12 Anomaly

[DML] Re: Workshop Manual vs. Service Bulletin - R12 Anomaly

I believe the spec change was for all vins. I experimented a lot in
the early days in Houston. My first new D was charged without adequate
oil and apparently adequate air removal because the system was trashed
inside with moisture, the new AC accumulator installed from that issue
was apparently damaged internally and clogged the orifice tube -
blowing the new compressor - that one was under DMC warranty (that's
right) but after that it was all on me. As a result of all the messing
and replacing I found 2.5 to be the best. 2.75 was just enough in
really hot weather to keep the pressures a little too high and kept
the system from cycling and reduced performance. The system will drop
to 2.2 before you know it and down to about 1.6-1.8 before you notice
a cycling issue. So, you can see that the system is very tolerant. I
used 2.5 in Houston for years and got the best results - however, at
any level charge, it is very important that your fans are functioning
properly. If you are at 50mph then no problem, but running around
town, inadequate fans will send the high pressure side to the max
causing poor performance and the potential or some major system damage.

Harold McElraft - 3354