Re: [DML] Frustrated beyond belief? GUESS YOU PASSED INITIATION

Re: [DML] Frustrated beyond belief? GUESS YOU PASSED INITIATION

Phil,

Welcome to the world of Delorean (no pun intended).  It will get better
but maybe not for a while.

Warren probably has better advice, but I'll give it a try.  Backfires,
raw fuel, heads were removed, etc. ---- my first thought is the timing
chains were not set right when the heads were replaced or the car is
timed wrong.  A couple of years ago, I made the mistake of not noticing
the two marks on the flywheel pulley and ended up starting the engine
for a few seconds.  Next time I tried to start it, I got so much fuel
into the exhaust I blew the muffler in two pieces and had a ringing in
my ears for days.  My point:  be sure you get the right mark when
setting the timing.

I still suspect the chain may be off a knotch on one or both pulleys.

My second guess would be a sticking plunger in the fuel distributor.
You did not mention replacing this unit.  Also, a binding in the air
metering unit may be the culprit.

There are several other potential problems:

-Mixture too rich (did you check the system with a dwell meter set at
the right scale?),

-Poor fuel flow to the injectors,

-Ignition problem (coil, contacts, pickup coil, moisture in
distributor, timing),

-bad fuel distributor, and

-bad warm-up regulator.

My best investment in diagnosing fuel problems has been the fuel
pressure gage (from J.C. Whitney for under $100) and the manual "Bosch
Fuel Injection & Engine Management" (by Charles Probst, Robert Bentley
Publishers, 800-423-4595, www.rb.com).  I leave the gauge on my car at
all times and have found it invaluable for diagnosing the problems that
are bound to occur, particularly after not investing in relays, fuel
components, or driving the car for a long period of time.  With this
gage and the book you will know if the fuel pump pressure is correct,
the warm-up reg. is working correctly, etc.  Like someone said
recently, if the ignition is firing right and the fuel pressures are
right, the engine should run reasonably well.(somewhat oversimplified,
of course).

After all I just mentioned, my newest D is still running sluggish, but
I also haven't done the step-by-step diagonstics.

I keep coming back to timing.  Distributor timing or timing chain
position.

Woody

http://mail.yahoo.com