Re: [DML] What gas octain to use

If you have a stock Delorean and are running the stock 12-13 degrees
initial advance, 87 octane is what you should use.  If anything has been
done to increase the cylinder pressure, i.e., timing advance, more
freely flowing intake, higher compression, or supercharging, then higher
octane is called for to eliminate detonation.  There is no more energy,
(heat value), in higher octane gasoline.  It is just more resistant to
pre-ignition.

I have always put regular fuel in stock Ds that I drove.  It's cheaper
and works just as well as anything that costs more.  I put hi-test in
cars equipped with our Performance engine and any turbo equipped cars I
happen to be stuck in.

By the way, beware of fuel that has a high ethanol content-gasohol or
E85 or such.  Alcohol is extremely hard on rubber compounds in fuel
systems.  Long years ago, one customer used a gasahol blend sold at an
independent station near his home.  It was 90-something octane and cost
as much as regular.  He brought his car in with symptoms that led us to
the tank.  We found that his pump boot had swollen by 20%.  It looked
like an outsize display model of the stock one-printing and all.  We
replaced it, shook our finger at him, and sent him away.  The boot
shrank back a little, but never re-assumed its original size.  I've seen
pick-up hoses swollen into parodies of themselves.  So far as I know,
the ethonol-derived ether oxidizers used in modern US gasolines don't
have this effect.

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
15023 Eddie Drive