[DML] Re: Cracked Windshield

There is no better way to repair the windshield than in the car. You
can expect to destroy a cracked windshield in the removal process. If
it is repairable at all then in all cases do it in the car. If you are
watching the procedure the shop should remove all traces of the old
glue, place a primer on the bare fiberglass and the windshield, lay a
bead of caulk as smoothly and continuosly as possible and then in the
first attempt lay the glass right on while the caulk is still warm.
They should avoid trying to reposition the glass once it hits the
caulk. The 2 wire clips at the bottom are there to hold the glass till
it cools. You may have to bend them up slightly so the glass can't
slip over them and crack. Put the mirror on the next day. Best not to
drive the car for a day too. If the small grounding wires are
corroded, missing, or broken fix them up when you replace the
mouldings. Best to also replace the small screws. While the windshield
is out you can clean the dash easily and tuck in the vinyl on the "a"
posts and reglue if you have to. After a couple of days clean the
glass thoughly and make sure the wiper blades do not scratch the
glass. Replace them if they are old. I like Rain-X on the outside and
inside Rain-X anti-fog. You do not always need to use the spacers. The
shop will make a judgement call on that. If you can get them to
install without then they cannot cause the new windshield to crack.
There is no recess on the "A" pillar.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757