RE: [DML] Higher Amperage Alternator - costs / benefits?

RE: [DML] Higher Amperage Alternator - costs / benefits?

Greg,
Most of the problems with the old alternators, ( Motorola & Ducy ) is they
reach their peek out put very quick and when you need /demand more power,
there is nothing left to give. It's trying to deliver the current needed to
run everything in the proper way and put a little back in the battery and it
winds up running or charging all the time with no rest period. In colder
climate, yes they will work better than hotter. But, again one it reaches
max output in current then that's it. That's why you see this melted stuff
oozing out the back.
Normal operation after the alternator heats, which will take 2 to 5 minuets
will drop 10 to 15% of it's rated output. So a 80 amp could drop to as low
as 68 amps and so on. All off the shelf alternators are rated cold in amps
for marketing purpose. They don't tell you what the hot output amp rating
is.
( All ) of my alternators are rated hot and normally will deliver more amps
if needed hot. Again, Example: average output when tested on the bench cold
of the D140 is around 155 amps cold and as it tested with a 100 amps load in
about 1 to 2 minuets will drop to just above 140 amps.  The D110, D130,
D140, D150 and up will deliver all the power the car needs to operate
properly and with enough to spare that it will be adding back to the
battery.
Let me say one more thing about higher amp alternators. The car only takes
what it needs to operate, so if I put a 180 amp rated alt on the car,
nothing will happen.
It's all amps available if needed.
I'll could almost guarantee that any Delorean running with the old
alternators will run better when a new one of mine is installed. I have sold
more that 250 around the world and going strong. I also give 24/7 service no
matter where you buy or inherited one of mine.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/alternators.html