[DML] DMC's Goal - Thank You!

Sitting here filing away articles that I've saved in relation to JZDs passing I
re-read a .gif file Mr. Muller posted of a personal letter from John DeLorean
after purchasing his car.

The second paragraph of that letter from Dec. 30, 1981 reads:
"It has now been several years since we undertook to bring another kind of
automobile into being. The goal was to design and build a car that would be as
safe as possible, reliable, comfortable, handle and perform well, be enormous fun
to drive and unmistakably elegant in appearance. We wanted people to be able to
buy a car which they truly liked and then keep it year after year, much as one
does one's home."

I sit here 24 years after that letter was written and am happy/thankful that
those goals were reached. My car is a daily driver. Winter salt and the idiots
that follow are the only reasons it hibernates 3-4 months out of the year. In 2
yrs & 2 months of ownership I have put on over 34k miles. And there has been only
ONE incident where I could have been left stranded if I had not had a spare
alternator belt in my utility belt for just such an emergency. On long trips the
ride has been quite comfortable. Even before I had my car lowered to the proper
designers intended specs it was still a nice, comfortable and well performing
ride. Even with the rising price of gas (don't care who's fault that is, that's
not the point here) I still go out in search of curvy country roads because it is
"enormous[ly] fun to drive". And about the "unmistakably elegant in
appearance"... I haven't gotten tired of going out to the garage just to look at
it sitting still. I often goto the window at home or work to catch a peek. Yes in
the back of my head there is a paranoia of some jerk doing something to my car,
but the reason for frequent looking is admiration. And I intend to keep my
DeLorean until I am physically unable to drive, which may outlast my current
home.

I just want to say "thank you" for my car, First: to John, Second: to all of the
people who had a part in making his dream come true, Third: to all the friends &
vendors who helped me along the way and Fourth: to Mr. Muller for sharing that
letter.

Shannon Y
happily putting on enjoyable miles like there is no tomorrow in
16506

http://mail.yahoo.com