Re: [DML] Fuel Pump Noise

Dick - My car does this too, but closer to an empty tank than yours.  I
have a couple of observations, but no real solutions.  First, is that a
tank that is less than full makes for a good speaker enclosure.  It's plastic,
and you have a vibrating mass hanging right at one of the less rigid sections
of the tank.  Higher temperature seems to help the fuel cavitate better within
the pump, which increases the noise.  Another thing to note is that the bottom
of the pump hangs about halfway into the tank, which indicates that the fuel
itself provides some audio insulation and probably cooling to the pump.  I
haven't been able to determine if the pickup hose winds up contacting
the tank.  If it does, that could be another source of noise being injected
to the fuel tank.

Short of keeping the tank more than half full, it's not much help, but maybe
it will spark some ideas for solutions...

--
Mike

-------------- Original message from Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker@xxxxxxxxx>: --------------