[DML] Source of My misfire and other problems

[DML] Source of My misfire and other problems

After having my car in the shop to have the coolant eaten heads
repaired I had a heck of a misfire at idle which I think was always
there to some extent but  having the top end of the engine tightened up
made it more pronounced.

I had put a new set of Bosch plug wires on about a year ago but decided
to give it a go and replace them. As I pulled them off the car I used
my trusty DMM to test the resistance  of them and found out they were
all over the place varying from about 3.5 ohm to 18 ohm with with one
of them being open. (On cylinder #4, the plug wire would not come loose
without a lot of tugging when I tried to remove it so it's possible
that I stretched and broke it in the process). I tested the resistance
of the original coil wire and found out it was around 38 ohm. Replaced
the coil with a new Bosch blue ( funny, thats the same coil that was
used in my old air cooled Volkswagen) and fired it up and no more
missing.

Started to check the air fuel mixture with my dwell meter and notice
that the frequency valve was only working some of the time. It would
hang around 21 degrees on the dwell meter no matter where I adjusted
the mixture to.  I decided to jump the plug and see if the FV had
crapped out on me and when i unplugged the connector i noticed that it
was real warm and the relay smell kinda cooked. The plug for the
fuel/rpm relay was a little brown in spots where it had overheated. So
now I think I have tracked down the loss of power on acceleration. Got
a new relay and will put it in tonight and hopefully I will have a
happy, smooth idling car now. Tested the FV just for good measure and
it seems to run ok.

I have one question for the group.  If I pull a vacuum on the charcoal
canister where the vacuum hose from the air intake hooks up should it
hold the vacuum? From what  I understand the when vacuum is applied to
that port it should cause the diaphragm to move and allow the built up
vapors to be pulled into the engine. I'm just not sure if the vacuum is
supposed to leak off or if it should be more like the vacuum advance
and hold whatever vacuum it has.

Phil Priestley
Vin 2105
IN FLUX