Re: [DML] Dealership Sign Fixup - Need Help!

Re: [DML] Dealership Sign Fixup - Need Help!

Well, I've had a good weekend for fixing up my dealership sign.  Last
week I had purchased 4 same-size bulbs only to later find that one of
the bulbs was like a foot longer than the others. The only one I
didn't measure myself.  They don't sell these bulbs at Home Depot or
Lowe's, only at specialty lighting stores, which of course are not
open weekends.  Over the weekend I wired in the new ballast and
finished cleaning out the mounting box.  The new ballast is about 3
inches shorter than the original one, but the top set of mounting
bolts still lined up so it'll be fine.

Today I picked up 2 of the large bulbs (just in case) and a
replacement utility cord to hook up to the ballast (it comes with just
bare wires).  I put in the new bulb, wired up the plug, and in my
greatest Clark Griswold moment, I plugged it in and *ta-da*!!

http://www.johnspangler.com/share/deloreansignlit.jpg

My wife and her friend (playing hooky today) took about 5 minutes to
come see it, thus ruining the "Come out, quick, look at the lights"
moment, but oh well.

I'm not going to do anything else to the sign like repaint it (it's
got some scratches), but I'm definitely going to give the stainless a
good scrubbing.  All in all this only took about $90 in parts to get
back in shape.  Not too bad.

Once I get it wall-mounted in the new garage I'll put up a small
webpage with all the pics I took along the way.

-John