[DML] Re: A/C Mode Switch Diaphragm Replacement

[DML] Re: A/C Mode Switch Diaphragm Replacement

The mode switch can be done without removing anything except the
switch itself. It is tight and difficult. Removing the center console
makes it a much bigger job but it does give you a lot more room.
Consider just removing the driver's seat and sticking your head where
your feet go with your back on the carpet. It can be done but you do
have to contort yourself to fit. Try not to mix up the connections
when you remove the mode switch. There are 3 wires and several hoses
which MUST go back in their correct places. The earlier cars had each
hose go on the valve. The later cars had the hoses go to a large
rubber plug which can be removed from the mode switch with all of the
hoses attached so you can reassemble easily without mixing them up. Be
very gentle with the mode switch. When plastic gets old it gets
brittle so you can crack it or strip the holes very easy. Lubricate
the rubber "maze" diaphram with some silicon so it turns easily.
Removing the console isn't that big a deal anyway and it gives you the
chance to find all your loose change and clean everything up anyway.
Removing the seats is very easy too. Just 4 nuts each underneath.
Note the colors of each wire on the mode switch and the hoses have a
colored stripe to identify them also. When you take the mode switch
apart there are tabs so you don't put it back together wrong. Taking
off the front plastic does not get you access, there is a metal plate
behind. Removing the center console gets you in from the side. By
removing the screws holding the mode switch you pull it out to the
side and then disconnect it so you can get it out of the car to take
it apart.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michael Townsley"