[DML] Re: idle problems

Although most idle problems ARE related to vacuum leaks and throttle
linkage issues I have also seen idle ECU's fail. The one I had fail
did make the idle motor buzz but the idle was a steady 2,000 RPM.
Unplugging it did bring the idle down but the only conclusive way to
know the ECU was bad was by substitution of a known, good one. I
consider this rather rare, in most cases it is just a culmination of
many, small, vacuum leaks. It is never just one thing though, it is
usually also misadjusted things too. Someone trying to correct the
problem by "adjusting" it away. From turning the air bleed screws to
messing with the mixture screw or just not knowing there is supposed
to be a plug over the mixture screw! The good news is that once
properly set up it seems to hold settings for a long time. At least
until you get more vacuum leaks from old hoses and seals again.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757