Re: [DML] Cold Idle Problem

For the benefit of the list, I respectfully disagree.

The vacuum that an engine produces is a
result of  how much air it pumps (referred to in some contexts as its
"volumetric efficiency") AND the restriction to that air flow posed by
anything upstream
from the intake, most notably the throttle plates at or near idle. That's
why vacuum decreases as the throttles open. Look at a vacuum/boost gauge at
or near WOT and you'll see this. Actually, as soon as the throttles open the
vacuum drops almost instantaneously. Thus, vacuum at idle depends a great
deal on having those throttle plates closed.

Another example: A jet engine flows LOTS of air. Is their a huge vacuum in
the engine? I'm not a jet engine expert, but unless there is some
significant restriction to the flow of that air, then the answer would be
no. Now, slap a piece of plywood over that engine's intake. What will
happen? The vacuum will instantly rise to the point where the plywood and/or
the engine will implode.

A final example: Draw air in through a straw. Draw a LOT of air. Is there
much vacuum in that straw or in your mouth? Probably not. Now, while drawing
in the same
amount of air (you're now the "engine" with a fixed volumetric efficiency)
place
your finger over the end of the straw.
Now that you've closed the "throttle" - just like magic - you have a lot of
vacuum  in your mouth and the straw!

It takes air flow AND restriction to create that vacuum. It isn't "magic" at
all. It's a phenomenon
known as Bernoulli's Principle. It's what makes venturis in carburetors
work.

Diesel's don't have those upstream throttles, and guess what? They don't
make vacuum. That's why they have vacuum pumps to run accessories. Unlike
gasoline engines with their closed throttles diesels will run away from you
on a downgrade if you let off the accelerator. Why? Becuase with no throttle
plates to close there is no limit on the amount of air that gets sucked
through the motor. In a gas engine the closed throttle restriction (which is
VERY significant) creates vacuum (drag) that slows everything down.

-Joe Kuchan