RE: [DML] More on idle speeds

> I'm hearing of people having too low of an idle-while
> I can't get mine anything under 7-8 hundred.
> How low can a factory new engine idle?

The idle speed motor is designed to maintain a constant idle under varying
loads. It was designed to do this with an idle speed of 750 rpm.

On my car, I took an extra wrap on the butterfly valve spring so that I
wouldn't have to use the throttle spool/rod to force the valve closed. This
solves a common high-idle problem, and has the added benefit of allowing me
to remove the slop from the throttle cable, so that the pedal has almost no
free-play before kicking in.

The needle valves are closed and the idle adjusting screw is backed out to
where it is not stopping the butterfly valve from closing completely. The
low idle switch is adjusted to just activate in this position.

With this setup, the car idles smoothly when cold at 750 rpm. When it gets
warm, it idles smoothly at 750 rpm. When I turn on the lights and A/C it
idles smoothly at 750 rpm. At idle, in first gear, going up a hill, with the
lights and A/C on, it idles (not quite as smoothly) at 750 rpm. At idle in
fourth gear, on a level road,...

Personally, I love having it set up this way. The only possible downside is
that my D150 alternator doesn't fully kick in until I get above idle. In a
long parade with the A/C on, I noticed a slow voltage drop, but I'm not
willing to accept the hunting idle I got when I tried to use the idle speed
screw or the needle valves to increase the idle.

Gary
IN2TIME