Re: [DML] I'm back. DeLorean needs help

A backfire through the intake is sure evidence of a lean condition.  It may
be lean all the time and only critical when cold, or just lean at warm-up.
In the first case, you'll have to investigate all the usual suspects that
will lean the mixture: air leaks, poor fuel delivery due to contamination by
old fuel, (my guess), or the warm-up regulator itself.  If the second case
is evident, then it will be the warm-up regulator, which regulates the
mixture and richens it while the engine is cold.

There are a couple of things to do before buying parts.  Clean the screen
under 14mm banjo connection on the warm-up regulator.  It's the larger one.
If that doesn't make the car run better cold, pop all the injectors out, ALL
THE INJECTORS, jump the RPM relay so that the pump runs, and press down on
the airflow plate.  The injectors should spray a fine mist proportionate to
the plate deflection, and should not drip or dribble when the plate is
released.  Any of them that spit out streams or drops will need to be
replaced.  I have never been satisfied with cleaned injectors.  Replacing
injectors always has a salutory effect on a Delorean engine.  If you need
the parts, the pictures are behind the links below.

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=733&Qty=1&ShowCart=true
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=910&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Warren Wallingford
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)