RE: [DML] Cruise control question

Ryan,
First, I would say check to be sure the magnet is still there.  As silly as
it sounds, I had one fall off a 1972 Dodge Dart and it didn't work well.  I
tried everything I could think of to fix it.  Finally ripped out the whole
system and (you guessed it) saved the coil and magnet for last.  Reinstalled
it with a replacement magnet and it worked fine.  My system used 4 magnets
and one had fallen off.

As far as the coil being closer goes, one issue if the strength of the
magnet used.  If the magnet was very strong then the coil doesn't have to be
as close.  If it is very weak then it likely needs to be very close.  This
also depends on the type of coil used (but doubt that is the issue).

I would suggest rechecking your connections (including vacuum if it had one)
and then look to repositioning the coil as close to the magnet as possible.
Of course usual safety precautions are required and don't forget that the
position of the coil may actually move relative to the magnet depending on
where items were installed and how much weight is put on the car.

Also note coil orientation does make a difference so follow the directions.
If installed in the wrong position the magnetic field will not induce a
voltage on the coil.

You may also want to test the coil to be sure it is good.  Use an ohm meter
and test the 2 leads.  It should be relatively low to zero resistance.  If
it is high you have a broken connection.

Ed
10541