[DML] Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean

[DML] Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean

Quite obviously there are a lot of things that could go wrong, and
the smart way would be to trailer it in one fashion or another. But
I think there is something to be said for the adventure of driving
it home, you already said it would be the way you prefer to do it. I
bought mine and drove it home, a 1200 mile maiden voyage. All went
well, but even if it hadn't, it still would have been a fun trip.
Getting whatever issue arose fixed and back on the road would have
been part of the adventure. I think that like everyone has been
saying a local area roadworthiness test (making sure the fans come
on and off properly and there are no auspicious leaks, etc.) is a
good idea and would provide reasonable enough peace of mind to at
least embark. As for plates and insurance, you can set up an
insurance policy ahead of time and schedule it so the company enacts
the policy on your date of purchase. Then when you buy it go to the
DMV with the seller and have the title and paperwork from your
insurance company about the policy and they will issue you a
temporary paper tag to drive it back to your home state, where you
can then register it properly. If you're up to it, I say go for it!

Dave

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxx>
wrote:

> I would add that you should make sure that the fans will cycle on.
You
> may have a bad circuit breaker or the origional which would keep
> kicking in and out. You may also have the blue fan fail relay which
> will fail so you should install the bypass jumper. You could have a
> bad pick-up hose in the tank so when you get to 1/2 tank the car
will
> stop. You could have a bad accumulator so when it gets hot it won't
> restart, say after you gas up. If you have the origional tires you
> could blow one out at speed. You could have a bent trailing arm
bolt.
> The origional hoses (even if they look good on the outside) could
> blow. You could melt out the fuse for the fuel pump. The origional
> water pump could let loose. The header bottle could split open. The
> seals on the brakes could fail. I could go on and on. It just
makes no
> sense to take a car that you have no confidence in and go on a road
> trip. It will cost a whole lot more to get towed when you get
stuck on
> the road then if you just made arrangements to have it
transported. If