RE: [DML] Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean

RE: [DML] Re: Ship or Drive newly Purchased Delorean

Paul,
Here are a few points to consider from my perspective.

If shipped:
Either remove the louvers or make absolutely certain it is NOT shipped
backwards.  You will loose the louvers, quite possibly the engine cover,
damage hinges (louver and engine cover) and maybe dent your roof.  Been
there, done that, have the T-shirt.  Oh and BTW if they damage the louvers
shipping companies usually have clauses in their contracts that exempt
covering that type of damage.

If driving:
Make sure gas is fresh, major rubber components (hoses, belts, plug wires,
tires, vacuum lines, etc...) are in decent shape (no significant cracks),
and no water is in spark plug wells.  Also do basic checks of fluid levels
(look for unusual color and odor), tire pressure (spare too), battery
condition, etc...  Make sure you have the jack and lug wrench (tool kit) and
consider (probably not necessary) changing plugs, wiper blades, and oil.

I also recommend you drive it in an area close to service stations for maybe
10+ miles.  Let it get good and warm then shut it off and try and restart
after 5-10 minutes.  There will be at least one stop for gas on that trip so
you might as well make sure you don't have a hot start problem.

Carry a can of WD-40 if you might be driving in rain.  Old plug wires can
ground out and the WD-40 might help there.

My 2 cents worth.

Ed
10541