[DML] A question concerning engine bay dimensions and swapped motors

[DML] A question concerning engine bay dimensions and swapped motors

I've searched for about 2 hours now using this site, and found a post
from about 4 years ago or so that gave the centimeter dimensions for
the engine bay.  But what confused me was that when I looked online for
random GM engine dimensions, several of the motors that I have read
about being swapped in, namely the 4.3 liter V6, was too long to fit,
at least going by the numbers.  Of course this had a picture of a
rather long water pump on the front of the motor, so maybe theres
something to do with that that I have not read yet.  My concern is, I
remember hearing about some people swapping in a Northstar V8, in fact,
the dimensions post was reffering to this motor somehow, but I can't
seem to find anything else specific to this motor swap.  Is the rear
frame somehow modified to fit the longer engine, or is only the
firewall modified?  I was contemplating the notion of using an LS1
since there is a large after market for the engine to get more power,
however I feel that 320hp is plenty for me. (Not that I really would
need that kind of power for daily driving, but its nice to know its
there.)  So anyway, if someone could clarify this issue I've stumbled
on and can't seem to fid the answer to, I would be greatly apreciate it.