Re: [DML] Re: car mysteriously dies 2 years in a row

Re: [DML] Re: car mysteriously dies 2 years in a row

In a message dated 3/23/05 10:20:28 AM Central Standard Time,
tobyp@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Andy - I would take a serious look at the inertia switch.  Noah also
> had another good suggestion, so you have some things to consider.
> When I bought my car, the inertia switch had been unplugged, and
> replaced with a very large paper clip to complete the circuit.

Toby,

Actually last summer I removed my inertia switch because the housing was
cracked.  I installed a jumper in the circuit as a temporary fix. I intend on
fixing it 'correctly' this spring.  I know my jumper is OK because i had the same
problem last spring when the switch was installed instead.

I believe I have the original RPM relay.  I wasn't able to get the car to die
by tapping the relay, so i'm not sure if this could be the cause.  Is it
worth it just to replace it anyway?

I will check the grounds but I am pretty good with keeping them clean, hard
to believe one is loose or something. In fact I had to relocate the battery
ground last year so I might check that one again.  But, like above, the problem
was around last spring when the ground was in the original position.

I suppose the problem could be in the ignition switch or column.  Never
thought of that. Next time the car dies I'll try hitting the steering wheel while I
am cranking and see if it fires up.

To John Hervey - you asked what the resistance of the coil is. Do you mean
the ignition coil or pulse coil?  What do I have to do to measure it?  I have a
DVM but am not really good at it.

I am super busy the next couple of days but hopefully this weekend I can
commit some quality time to solving this once and for all.

Any other good ideas?

Andy