[DML] Re: Detroit, US government, and DeLorean

[DML] Re: Detroit, US government, and DeLorean

While I am not one for conspiracy theories either, there's something
that just doesn't add up in the DeLorean saga. Yes the market
rejected the car for being too expensive, underpowered, too
unconventional, all of this during a huge market recession. But why
would a government who invested not only $200 Million dollars of
it's taxpayers money, but also invested the lives of some 2,500
citizens who signed on as factory workers, not to mention the
countless suppliers etc; pull the plug on this operation after it
had only been *producing* automobiles for ONE FULL YEAR??? That is a
heck of a lot of money and lives to just flush after only 1 year of
being in business, especially when you account for the size of Great
Britain versus the US in population and GDP, and for inflation since
then.

If you watch the Pennebaker/Hedgus Documentary on DMC, JZD mentions
that Great Britain had been supporting British Leyland for many many
years to keep them afloat. Yes JZD was a foreigner unlike BL, but
the money and lives invested in him sure weren't foreign, they were
British to the core. Even with the limited amount of research the
government did before investing in DeLorean, they had to of known
that the cars would need several years, if not a decade of
production before they worked out all their kinks, established their
name in the automotive world as a viable competitor, came out with a
more comprehensive lineup which would grab a larger market share,
and most importantly become profitable and able to support
themselves. I refuse to believe the British government officials who
decided the DeLorean investment was worthy of their taxpayers
dollars and lives didn't know this all of this (especially after
their experience with BL and other investments!). Not to mention JZD
claimed the company was making a profit when they were closed. Now I
don't know the basis for the conspiracy to shut down DMC, but it's
pretty obvious to me that for some reason, someone wanted DeLorean
out of business. It may be simpler than the theories that have been
running around for the past two decades, or it may in fact be far
more complex.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC