Re: [DML] Re: Automatic vs. Stick

I find the auto vs. stick extremely interesting
especially when the turbo is brought into play.

I've had two DeLoreans. One automatic and one stick.
BOTH have been equipped with the Island Twin turbo
set-up.  I drove the automatic nearly 75,000 miles and
have put more than that on the stick.  I admit that
only the last 30,000 miles on the automatic was with
the turbos installed.

Now, this may not make me an expert, but my seat of
the pants experience is significant.  You can talk all
you want about the curve of the auto in relation to
the turbo and how it is "better", but I'm here to tell
you that unless you have a higher speed stall
converter and REALLY put the pedal to the metal (watch
out tranny), a little old lady pushing a baby buggy
will beat you across the street at every intersection
with the turbo equipped automatic.  Not so with the 5
speed.

BTW, I will agree that theoretically the auto shifts
with less loss of rpms (an important feature when
talking boost of a turbo)  but, IMHO, that theory does
not take real life factors into consideration.

My 2¢ from many miles of experience.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867