[DML] Re: i need a cheap delorean

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "stretch" <mister_rodger@xxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for the input, guys.  I have 2 cars that are 40+ years old, so
> I know exactly what you mean about old parts.  I know all the basic
> stuff, like engine maintenance, wiring, and minor suspension repair,
> so I'm not worried about that.  I think if I get into one, and it
> turns out to be too much of a hassle, I could always turn it over.

Then, so long as you can afford the parts, and you already said you
have the time, you will be fine.

> Josh- I didn't see that 7500 car on DMCNews, the 'cheapest' thing
> there right now is a car without an engine - 5000.  That is, unless
> you count the [gasp] totalled Delorean.  The cheap-o car ad said there
> is a broken door/roof strut.  what's a strut?

They could be talking about the gas strut that assists the door
lifting (cheap to replace), or they could be talking about the torsion
bar ($1000+ IF you can find one). Hopefully the former?

FYI, check any cheap DeLorean you buy over with a fine toothed comb.
The frames can and do rust. If you have significant frame rust, you're
looking at a major restoration and an awful lot of money to fix.
Several owners have found this out the hard way.

> If the 5000 dollar car is a good deal, the question is, where could I
> get an engine, and how much would it cost?  Does it matter what kind
> of engine I put in there, or are there compatible motors that would
> work for the time being?  Right now I have a spare 283 chevy small
> block, will that fit?

My suggestion: If you buy a car without an engine, don't try to put a
PRV (stock) engine back in there. It's more trouble than it's worth.
If you just want the car to drive and enjoy, then swap something else
in it's place... something big. I don't know if the 283 will fit or
not, but engine swaps can and have been done on these cars. Ask around
here and on the DMCForum (also a Yahoo group), someone will have more
info on this.

-Ryan