Re: [DML] Re: Blue Book Value

Like many others, I am not a great fan of concours.
Now, it's not that I don't think such competitions are
fun to take in, they are just not my cup of tea.
Given enough money, one could take a brand new car off
the show room floor, shrink wrap it, enter it into a
concours at a later point in time, and, from what I've
seen, that person would only stand a 50/50 chance of
winning.  Does that make sense?

Let's keep in mind that the term concours d'elegance
is French, meaning "contests of elegance".  For the
great part they were "events" for the rich to show off
their cars, their clothes and their wives/mistresses.

Or (here comes the bookstore owner in me) the
dictionary says elegance:
1. a.Refinement, grace, beauty in movement,
appearance, or manners.
   b.Tasteful opulence in form, decoration, or
presentation
2. a. Restraint and grace of style
   b. Scientific exactness and precision
3. Something elegant

I guess that if we use meaning 2, b. we now have what
passes for a concours in the DeLorean community.  And,
perhpas that is why it is referreed to a Millenium
Concours and not a Concours D'Elegance.

If I had the money to have a car that is seldom if
ever driven I suppose my feelings MIGHT be different,
but I doubt it.  My DeLorean was meant to be driven.
It is a wonderful car to drive.  And, I do not
personally believe that its value to me or anyone else
is based upon scientific exactness and precision of
some other DeLorean.  I WOULD, however, bow to any
more elegant DeLorean.

Wow, what a rant.  And to think that I have once again
agreed with Marc in public!

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867