[DML] Re: Blue Book Value

Don't forget that a while back James Espey told us that Blue Book
contacted DMCH and based these values on much of the information
provided by DMCH. Blue Book does not use one source exclusivly, ie,
they also follow sales at auctions and they contact appraisers to help
set market values. Value is mainly determined by condition, the model
year will have a very small, if any, effect. More important is the
closer it is kept to it's origional condition, generally, the more
valuable. For instance, if it is a very early car it "should" have a
grooved hood with a fuel flap and a windscreen antennae. Mileage is
probably a bigger factor than model year. If you really want to know
what your car is worth you might consider a professional apprasiel for
your insurance company. I am sure NADA looks at Blue Book and Blue
Book looks at NADA so they are usually similar. This is also one of
the purposes of a judging concours and a rulebook. This does A LOT to
help appraisers determine condition and therefore value. In effect the
concours winners are a benchmark against which other cars are valued.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757