[DML] Re: Engine Support Questions

>From what I can see in the pictures the rust is not all that bad. I
don't see any spots actually rusted through. I do see heavy surface
rust and areas where the epoxy cracked off. It does not appear that
you will have to replace any metal but only actual on-site inspection
can tell you that. The way I would proceed, if it was my car, would be
to disassemble the front end. Crack off all the loose epoxy and tap on
the frame to find any thin spots. Assuming the metal is not thin I
would grind off as much rust as I could and then coat with POR-15 or
something like it to passivate the surface. Then repaint with grey
paint. Clean up and repaint all the front end parts and reassemble.
Luckily the front is not too bad. Look over the entire frame and
remove any loose epoxy and repaint. Pay particular attention around
the brake and clutch master cylinders. When they leak the brake fluid
softens the epoxy and it comes loose from the frame. Empty the fuel
tank and take off the plate so you can inspect the area better. If you
are really ambitious it wouldn't hurt to remove the fuel tank so you
can inspect more of the frame properly.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Todd Nelson <tan5732@xxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, I have posted some more pictures of the front
frame
> extension, seems to me like it is in need of some work.  From the
pictures
odd