Re: [DML] help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage

Re: [DML] help! newbie getting horrible gas mileage

Thanks!  Do you do these things yourself?  And is it difficult?

As I mentioned to another gentleman in a different post, the
catalytic converter needed replacing before I bought the car.

I thought I may have sucked up some dirt in the tank the first time
I drove it and let the tank get to pretty darn empty.  It never
really drove the same after that.

Thanks again for the advice...

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp@xxxx>
wrote:

> Christian,
>
> Unfortunately, there's no easy way to tell you to fix this.  I'm
assuming your car has been sitting for some time before you bought
it (as almost all DeLoreans have).  You really need to perform a
fuel system overhaul.

> Start at the tank and work your way back to the engine.  It could
be several issues including: overly rich mixture adjustment, sticky
fuel distributor plunger, bad injectors, etc.  You really shouldn't
drive on it like this for long since that much fuel could damage
(and potentially already has) your cat. converter, wash out your
cylinders, and more.

> Don't worry, though.  When you get the system resolved your
mileage will be pretty good.  I regularly get over 20MPG around
town, and I've gotten as high as 27.5MPG on level interstate through
Indiana.

> Also, don't forget about the other systems!  If your car has been
sitting long enough to have fuel problems, it's been sitting long
enough to have other problems.  Better take a look at cleaning and
updating the electrical system thoroughly, coolant hoses and
radiator, and all hydraulic systems (ie. brakes, clutch).  As David
T. always says, do these correctly one at a time and you'll soon see
the reliability you'll enjoy.