[DML] Re: Turbo PRV.

I do not claim to be an "expert" on turbos. My main point in saying
there should be some kind of pressure release valve is that if a boost
control should get stuck or a wastegate not move right you could
overboost the engine. Having some kind of valve seems to me to be
insurance against something going wrong. Single point type of failure
kind of thing. With some of the Island turbo cars blowing pressure out
the crankcase either some of them have the boost set too high or there
is some kind of transient condition that is allowing the engines to be
overboosted. We can argue over exactly what kind of valve to use and
where to put it but IMHO adding a relief valve won't do any harm and
can protect the engine from an overboost condition. BTW the poppet
valves (decel valves) allow air to pass the throttle plates under high
vacuum conditions (higher than idle). Refer to D:09:01 for a more
complete explanation. Maybe for the turbo installation they need to be
modified? They aren't needed on an automatic, they are mainly for a
5-speed so additional air can go through the motor to prevent
backfires in the exhaust.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757