Re: [DML] Re: Turbo PRV.

Hi David

I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree here. Either that, or I've
misunderstood how my engine works :-) What you're describing is a safety
device to control overpressure. Not sure what it'd be called but I know
that the one on my Turbo-diesel everyday car is also controlled by the ECU.

A "proper" turbo'd engine blows -through- the throttle(s). This means
that when the throttles are closed, the turbo is suddenly pushing
against an enclosed space. At the same time the throttles are closed,
you get vacuum in the manifold, and this is connected to the dump valve
(blow-off valve) which uses the vacuum to open a port on the turbo
outlet and either lets the air excape in to the air, making that typical
"Pshhhhh!" or the better way of doing it  (and more correct especially
on an air-mass metered engine) is to plumb the dump valve outlet back to
the inlet of the turbo. This is called a recirculating dump valve.

In the case of both the BAE and Island turbo kits, they suck from the
throttles, so when the throttles close, the turbo is evacuated rather
than pressurised which is not how they are designed and will eventually
blow seals.

Hope this makes sense!

Martin