[DML] Re: want to regrain stainless

I use 80# and/or 120# sandpaper. You get different results with the
different grit. The 80# is closer to the factory finish and the 120#
is closer to a "regrained" finish. The problem with the 80# is you
must stay EXACTLY with the grain or you will quickly have scratches
that are not straight. The 120# is a little more forgiving having
smaller scratches. In any case you must try to stay as straight as you
can in your strokes. Use a piece of masking tape as a guide if you
have to. After you use the sandpaper you can go over it with the
blending pad to smooth it down. You may want to do the whole car. When
you use sandpaper or a blending pad you are removing the surface
oxides and the metal will appear to "brighten up". By doing the whole
car it will be a lot more even. After a few days it will "dull down".
Everyone has their favorite methods. Sometimes I use Windex as a
lubricant and to float out the dust and dirt as I use the blending
pad. You will have to wipe and rinse the surface after this anyway. It
creates a very fine, dark, metallic dust. It can be done by hand, it
just takes a long time. Do a panel at a time and try not to use much
pressure on the hood. If you can catch your fingernail on the scratch
you may not be able to sand it out.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Soma576@xxxx wrote:

> Hey group,
>
> Only about a month before my car comes out of winter storage.  In
the meantime I would like to take out a couple scratches in the
stainless.  I have the DMC cleaning kit which comes with the
scotchbrite blending pad and I have used that before but the scratches
i want to get out are a little too deep for it. I saw at PF that DMCH
had a really abrasive p removed]