[DML] Re: Driver's side gullwing problem

[DML] Re: Driver's side gullwing problem

I hate to say it, but slamming the door shut when it wasn't closing
properly was the worst possible thing you could have done to it,
especially since you said it doesn't open.  The locking solenoid
probably has nothing to do with this problem, and I can guarantee
Lockzilla will not fix it.  Your problem right now sounds mechanical
with the latch/striker parts.

This will take many steps to diagnose and fix.

First, is the door locked?  Push the lock lever all the way forward.
Does it roll back some?  Try opening the door while pushing the lock
lever all the way forward.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to remove the interior upper trim
piece to gain acess inside the door.  From here you should have a shop
manual if you've never worked with the lock/latch linkages.  What
needs to be done is make sure both latches are unlocked, and its
probably best to disconnect the link rods for the locks at this time
as well.  Once it is verified that both latches are unlocked, manually
release them latches by pulling on their respective link rods.  Your
door will hopefully open at that point, if not, there may be problems
deeper than I can describe here.

Once the door is opened, the root cause needs to be found.  This can
be many things, striker pin alignment, locking linkage, latch linkage,
perhaps your inner door seals are folded over and making the door too
tight.  The problem may have even been that a latch was not opened all
the way for some reason, and it came down on the striker pin partially
closed, not letting it engage.

Let us know what you find out at this point, and we can help you
correctly fix it then.

On a side note, the Delorean door locks should NEVER been locked when
the door(s) are open. (Its even in the owners manual!) Most car's
latches dont even allow this, but I've seen some that do, and the
reults are often a jambed door.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC6960