[DML] Re: "Fake" converter available (Rusty Hardware)

[DML] Re: "Fake" converter available (Rusty Hardware)

That explains why exhaust systems rust from the inside out. Not how
the hardware deteriorates so badly. The reason the exterior of the
exhaust system rusts so much has to do with the extreme temperatures
it operates at and the thermal cycling. Mild steel disintegrates
quickly at these extremes. This is the reason many go to other
materiels like stainless steel, brass hardware, and things like
Never-Seize. BTW short trips are MURDER on exhaust systems. They never
get hot enough for the moisture to get completly evaporated so
moisture (along with acids) accumulate in the system quickly rotting
out the parts. In fact on many cars (not Deloreans) there is a small
hole in the muffler to allow water to drain out so it won't sit in the
muffler. If you store a car and run the motor for a few minutes once
in a while to keep it "active" it is very bad to not run it long
enough to reach operating temperature. In general to work on an
exhaust system you need to heat the parts up before you try to take
things apart. The hotter the better. Not doing that tends to break
everything. Cutting the hardware is also a good strategy since most of
it can't be reused anyway. At muffler shops they tend to "gut" the car
prefering not to waste much time on the old parts which will fail soon
anyway. They tend to want to do the whole system which on most modern
cars means at least from the cat back. On old cars it meant from the
exhaust manifold to the tailpipe.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757