[DML] Fuel Accumulator

Can the fuel accumulator make noise?  I just replaced the fuel pump
because it failed but now I am having similar symptoms again.  I
pulled the pump and ran it out of the tank but the noise seems to be
coming from the transmission tunnel area.  the pump seemed fine.
The car emits a high pitched groan that seems to strain to pull
fuel.  It just started out of nowhere.  I didn't think the
accumulator had any moving parts. so where could the noise be coming
from?  The car also sputters and stalls like it is out of gas unless
I keep the revs really high.(thats how i limped home)

Matt