Re: [DML] Starting problems... cold, now warm.

Re: [DML] Starting problems... cold, now warm.

The "warm start" issue has come up before, but has never been
adequately resolved, IMO.

I have been plagued with this problem for years. My car starts
perfectly when cold and when hot, but there is a small temperature
window (presumably in which the engine is just barely too warm to
engage the thermo-time switch) in which it just won't start w/o forcing
the cold-start injector via a plug swap.  My fuel system holds pressure
very well (by direct measurement), and the problem has survived a
complete tuneup (except setting valves) and a replacement of the
thermo-time switch.

My best guesses are
1) there is a bad batch of thermo-time switches out there whose
setpoint is too low.  (Been meaning to test mine)
2) I have a subtle vacuum leak (but if so, I sure can't find it)

Sure would be nice to get to the bottom of this. In my case the
"critical cooling period" exactly coincides with a leisurely dinner at
a nice restaurant.

On Feb 20, 2005, at 10:30 PM, Travis Graham wrote:

> I seem to have traded a cold start problem for a warm start problem!  A
> good trade? I don't think so... This one's a bit lengthy, but I want to
> get all of the facts out on the table.  Thanks in advance!

<snip>

> Yesterday I started up my DeLorean (and it started right up with no
> hesitation after sitting for a week!) and went for a good drive.  I
> parked it for about an hour, then went to leave and it wouldn't start!
> It cranked and cranked but had no intention of firing up.  The fuel
> pump was working, as I noted its usual hum after letting off of the
> key.  After three rounds of this, I jumped the cold start valve using
> the control pressure regulator's wire and it started right up.  I drove
> straight back to its garage, turned it off, and then immediately tried
> starting again.  It fired right up.  And 30 minutes later, it once
> again fired up with absolutely no hesitation.  Unfortunately I had to
> leave before it had cooled off enough to be in the "warm but not hot"
> zone... and I haven't had a chance to resume experimentation.

<snip>

> Given my symptoms and known factors, (and without having a chance to do
> further investigation), I would assume that my most-likely problem is a
> bad fuel accumulator.  Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had a
> problem with hot starting before and I've owned this car for 8 years
> and put 40k miles on it.  So, here are my questions for the group:

--Pete Lucas
   VIN #06703