[DML] Re: New DeLorean Owner...Old engine blown...Help me make decision

[DML] Re: New DeLorean Owner...Old engine blown...Help me make decision

Hey Everyone,

Thanks a ton for your advice.  I'm located in Denver Colorado if
there is anyone out there that might want to get together some
time.  Thanks Rich for referring me to Robert!  I actually looked at
Tamir's site after posting this and went "DOH".  I contacted one of
his associates that helped him in Denver and he forwarded me to
Robert so hopefully I'll hear back soon from him.  Since my vehicle
is the exact same year, tranmission, and situation it might be
easier and more fun to go that way.

This definitely is a project car, which is what I've always wanted.
I've never been a big fan of the 130 HP engine but do respect having
original parts etc.  The Lotus V8 Twin Turbo I found has all of the
parts from the engine compartment and the guy is looking to find a
Renault Manual Tranmission to send with it as well.  He's selling me
the engine for around 3k (haven't really negotiated or anything)and
it's broken down with all the parts so I could go through the engine
and make sure it's ready to go.  He said he recently sold another
Lotus V8 to a Delorean owner and using a Renault Transmission he was
able to install it and burn rubber.  He referred me to him as well
so it'll be good to speak to some people that have experience doing
these things.

As for this project and pictures, I'll be setting up a website soon
through a friend so people can watch the transformation.  The car is
currently Dark Blue but thankfully the paint chips off with my
finger nails which leads me to believe they didn't prep the
stainless like they should have (and it's really pretty underneath
the paint I've removed so far).  I've checked all the panels and
they aren't covering anything up so I should be good there.  I
checked with the local auto paint dealer and they said not to use
chemical stripper because it could possibly stain the SS.  I
definitely don't want to take any chances but they said to try using
a water pressure washer first.  I'm going to run a few tests but it
should hopefully come off easy using this method since it chips off
with my finger nails (No, I don't want to chip all the paint off the
car using my finger nails).  A local guy here uses plastic beads to
blast off paint but I hope I can get most of it off using the
pressure washer. If anyone has any other methods that are proven,
let me know.

I can also ask my guy if he has any more Lotus V8's on the way if
anyone else is interested.  He recently sold a 2001 Lotus V8 Twin
Turbo Engine for like 8k.

Thanks,

Brandon N.
Vin 3323

PS. My wife just recently saw someone drive by our house in a
DeLorean.  Made her appreciate the car a bit more :)  She's still
warming up to it!  I'm wondering if it might have been any of you
guys out here?

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Swingle" <swingle@xxxx> wrote:

> There are often used DMC PRV engines around for considerably less
> than $5000 as well. It really depends on what your budget is - the
> spred between your ideas is probably $10,000 lowest to highest.
How

<brandelorean@xxxx>