[DML] Re: Cooling System Problems (DMC Joe's Overheat Protector)

[DML] Re: Cooling System Problems (DMC Joe's Overheat Protector)

The overheat protector IS the continuous bleeder that is installed on
the thermostat housing. It is NOT connected to the bleed hose on the
radiator. The bleed hose on the radiator is connected to that special
pipe on the right side of the car. It is not a simple tee'd in
connection. The small pipe connected to the small hose off the top,
right side of the radiator goes inside the larger return pipe and
creates a venturi effect essentially pulling from the top of the
radiator to remove any air that is trapped. It doesn't seem to work if
the radiator is completely full of air so on an initial fill you
loosen the hose at the top of the radiator when pressurizing the
system to get most of the air out. From then on the bleed hose is
there to remove any air that may get trapped in the radiator. Same as
the overheat protector. Rerouting the bleeder to the heater hose may
only be putting air into the heater core and not getting it back to
the header bottle. The "best" route would be to just run the hose
right to the header bottle if you wanted to run "uphill". In any case
you still are coming off the fragile plastic barb on the origional
plastic tank. Check out your radiator carefully. I bet you it is green
around the edges. After 20 years it is time to replace it. On a new
radiator you will get metal tanks and a metal barb to attach the hose
to. If you are rubbing the epoxy with the pipe you are missing a piece
of foam padding to prevent that. I have no problem with installing a
continuous bleeder on the thermostat housing. My problem is it should
be done with all the other things it takes to make the system work
right and not rely on just it to "fix" the problems caused by leaks.
By fixing a symptom you are not going to fix the real problem.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757