[DML] Re: using starting fluid to find vacuum leaks?

[DML] Re: using starting fluid to find vacuum leaks?

You need to be able to aim the stream precisely, which means a straw
inserted into the spray nozzle. The only cans I've found with such an
arrangement are carb cleaners. Even brake cleaners are not set up for
straws.

My experience has been that hitting a vacuum leak with spray solvent
causes the engine to bog down, not rev up. Solvent doesn't seal the
leak but rather gets sucked into the engine.

Don't know what the flash point of carb cleaner is, but I've never had
it burst into flame even hitting a hot exhaust manifold. In the
absence of arcing ignition you shouldn't have any problem using it on
a running engine. Can't be healthy for O rings though -- don't go
crazy with the stuff.

Also be careful not to overspray anything painted (rear fascia).

Note that this method only works to find leaks at the engine itself --
won't diagnose leaking HVAC diaphragms for example. To test remote
leaks you need a hand held vacuum pump.

Bill Robertson